Posted Thu, 08 Sep 2022 22:15:36 GMT by Daniel Falcon
Last update for BIML Express was 2019-05-08 and although it provided support for VS2019, you can see in the forum that people are having issues with the extension due to bugs and there seems to be no response or any news for a new version. VS22

I know Varigence wants to focus on BIML Flex & BIML Studio, but if there are no plans for updating BIML Flex I think they should be straightforward about it, don't you think?

I'm not sure if people from Varigence see these forum posts but hopefully I can get others opinions about the topic.
Posted Mon, 12 Sep 2022 13:19:52 GMT by Timo Dinnesen

I have contacted Varigence directly using their support form a few times over the years.

I used to get answers: First and excuses about the new download of BIMLExpress being delayed due to Covid. And later that they had decided not to release it due to some unmentioned problem.

But recently they don't even bother giving me a reply.

My support cases (about the same as you mention above) have simply been closed with no message to me at all.

I consider BIMLExpress dead, and will not recommend anyone to start using BIML for anything.

If you are working with SQL server on premise I would suggest that you:
1.Use stored procedures for all inter-server flow.
2. Use some sort of clever hand made, metadata-driven, SSIS-package for moving data between servers/files/outside world.

Posted Wed, 05 Oct 2022 18:08:16 GMT by Duncan Dubick

Sadly this is the conclusion I've come to as well.

I drank the BIML Kool-aid years ago and we designed our whole Data Warehouse with it. But keeping VS2015 installed just for this is painful.

I know their answer will be to buy BIMLStudio but I can't shell out that kind of money just for this one project.

Even if BIMLExpress was a cheaper paid license I'd probably pay it even for the limited functionality but to dangle BIMLExpress in front of us in it's current (unsupported) form is just cruel.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.